I came across the Aspen Proposal a day or so ago in one of my web browsing moments. It resonated very strongly with me, and I can agree with all of the points that it raises. We all need to consider what we are doing to this planet, our home, and how we can ensure that the generations to follow, and all the other living organisms that share this planet with us, still have a place worth living in for the millennia that are to come. This proposal, a global vision for the future, is meant as a place to start the discussion about the type of future we want. I am posting it here so that we can all begin that discussion. Please share it if you feel that is can help the necessary engagement with the future that must come.
- Human population remains high, with many people living in poverty and highly dependent on food distribution systems and industrial agriculture to survive.
- Climate change impacts increase, resulting in floods, heat waves, forest fires, crop failures, and transportation disruptions.
- People living in poverty will be impacted more severely than those with access to resources and money, resulting in a lack of food and clean, fresh water, followed by disease, death, war, and more death, particularly amongst the poor.
- Pandemics become more common (COVID-19 was not the first of its kind, nor will it be the last – there is science to support this opinion). Based on how well we dealt COVID-19 (ha, ha), we will not be able to contain these pandemics. Eventually something like a highly contagious form of Ebola will crop up, with a very significant mortality rate (unlike COVID-19), and there will be a population reduction, enforced by nature.
- Those of us who survive (most likely the rich rather than the poor), if any, will get to decide what our new future will look like. I hope they have read proposals like the one put forward by the Aspen group, and make some better choices than we have made.